AVENUE AND LAWRENCE REDEVELOPMENT
This 2.7 acre site (272, 284- 290 Lawrence Avenue West and 1507-1545 Avenue Road) encompasses properties on the northeast corner of Avenue and Lawrence: from the office building at 272 Lawrence Avenue West, around the corner, and up to and including Pusateri. Royal Lighting is not part of the development. The properties have been acquired by First Capital Holdings over the past few years. An application for two new buildings was initially submitted in May 2020.
A preliminary report re: the proposal by City Planning was considered by North York Community Council (NYCC) on September 10, 2020. This report identified issues to be addressed and resulted in the scheduling of a community meeting. LPRO and the other three affected resident groups – Bedford Park Residents Organization (BPRO), Upper Avenue Community Association (UACA) and South Armour Heights Residents’ Association (SAHRA) submitted a joint letter to NYCC expressing local concerns about the proposed development: lack of required onsite parkland, vehicle access issues, excessive height and a lack of upper-level step-backs. The four residents groups also met with City Planning, the Developer and Councilor Colle to discuss the proposal.
A virtual community meeting took place on October 22, 2020. The City provided an overview of the proposal and existing policies. The Developer provided additional information. There was an opportunity for questions and comments.
In July 2022, LPRO was informed that First Capital had resubmitted their plans for the northeast corner of Avenue Road and Lawrence Avenue West. The acquisition of 272 Lawrence Avenue West, which occurred after their initial proposal was submitted in 2020, has allowed the developer to reconfigure the proposed site access. The unsignalized driveways on Avenue Road and Lawrence have been removed. The site now includes a new road which would extend north from the intersection of Rosewell and Lawrence, and run immediately to the west of the residential building currently under construction at 250 Lawrence. The intersection of Rosewell and Lawrence is proposed to be signalized.
Key Information on the revised proposal:
• The number of residential units has increased from 455 to 532
• The proposal now includes a 984m City Park located west of the new public road
• The amount of retail space has been reduced from 4,680m2 to 3,246m2
• Building heights are similar to the first submission at 14 storeys/47.2m for the south building (Building B) and 10 storeys/34.5m for the north building (Building A). Both buildings have mezzanine levels which are excluded from the floor count.
• Some building setbacks and step-backs have been adjusted
• The landscaped ravine buffer has largely been removed to accommodate the road
• The number of parking spaces has been reduced from 605 to 584.
- Public Park Space: One of our primary goals is to ensure that the proposal results in a usable public park for the surrounding neighbourhoods and new residents. While we are pleased to see that the proposal now contemplates a public park, there are outstanding issues. The proposed parkland dedication does not fulfill the Toronto Parkland By-law requirement of 15% of the site area. The park is located immediately north of a 14-storey wall, which will result in significant shadow impacts. We continue to engage in the development process and will provide future updates as they are available.
The proposal is for two buildings, referred to as Building A and Building B. Building A would be located at the north end of the site and is proposed to be 10 storeys and 34.5m storeys tall. Building B would be located at the corner of Avenue and Lawrence and is proposed to be 14 storeys and 47.2m tall. The proposal now includes 532 residential units, 3,246m2 of retail, a 584-car parking garage and a new road which would extend north from the intersection of Rosewell and Lawrence, and run immediately to the west of the residential building currently under construction at 250 Lawrence. A new traffic signal would be installed at Rosewell and Lawrence if the proposal as submitted is approved.